Karinya House provides outreach services to pregnant and parenting women and their families who are in crisis. The service operates on a twenty-four hour, seven days a week basis.
Karinya supports women from Canberra and surrounding regional areas. It is the only residential and outreach service specifically for pregnant and parenting women in the region.
Karinya provides casework support to between 30 and 40 outreach Clients at any one time.
Casework support for all Karinya Clients is a fundamental priority. Staff develop an individual support plan for each client according to their specific needs and circumstances. The support plan provides professional and practical support and encourages residential and outreach Clients and their families to access a range of life skills and opportunities.
Professional casework support can include:
- Casework management and counselling;
- Birth preparation support services;
- Prenatal education, counselling and support;
- General health care advice and advocacy including transport to medical appointments;
- Support in birth plan, labour support and transport;
- Budgeting and financial planning advice;
- Advocacy and assistance with public housing applications;
- Assistance in obtaining appropriate and safe crisis accommodation;
- Assistance in accessing a secure environment for women living in violent situations;
- Assistance in developing and improving parenting and life skills through participation in external courses and programs;
- Assistance accessing appropriate education, training or employment with a particular focus on encouraging women who left school at an early age to gain their Year 10 or Year 12 certificates;
- Reducing social exclusion by linking clients with other community groups and support networks and assistance, where appropriate, to reconnect with their family;
- Referral to and liaison with external medical, antenatal, legal, housing and welfare agencies and organisations;
- Assistance moving and maintaining housing and sustaining a tenancy;
- Practical assistance with household goods, baby goods and clothing and maternity requirements;
- Practical assistance with women’s clothing;
- Practical assistance with food parcels, nutritious meals and support and practical assistance at special times such as Mother’s Day, Easter, Christmas and at the birth of a baby.